Eligible Countries: UK or Eastern African countries.
The British Institute in Eastern Africa invites applications for funding for research projects that engage with one or more of the following thematic areas:
- Citizens and Science in Eastern Africa
- Migrations and Mobilities
- Everyday States
- Land, Heritage ad Memory
- Spending Time
- BIEA research funding is available to support original research within these thematic areas in any discipline in the humanities and social sciences across the region.
- The BIEA’s thematic grant scheme particularly seeks to help researchers who have limited access to other sources of funds. In doing so, the BIEA seeks to nurture early career researchers and scholars in eastern Africa, and is keen to fund small projects that lay the ground for larger projects. Such researchers may include postgraduate students in eastern African or the UK, or people who have not followed conventional research careers but whose local knowledge or contacts make them well-fitted to conduct quality research.
- This funding supports original research in the humanities and social sciences, and we particularly encourage applications from the wider eastern African region, which we define as stretching from Sudan, to Mozambique, and including Madagascar. ‘
- Priority is given to researchers based in the UK or eastern Africa.
Number of Awards: Limited
Value of Award: Grants are normally between £500 and £1,000; in exceptional circumstances, up to £1,500 may be awarded. The grant should contribute towards actual research costs and not include institutional overheads, equipment, and applicant’s stipend or publication costs.
Method of Application:
Scholarship Application Deadline: 20th December 2018.