- 1kg Fresh Tomatoes or Canned tomato puree
- 100g Tinned tomato paste
- 1 litre Vegetable Oil
- 300g Fresh fish
- 2 OR 3 medium bulbs Onions
- 5 Habanero Pepper (atarodo)
- 2 Knorr cubes
- Curry (1 teaspoon each)
- Salt to taste
- First blend the tomatoes, peppers and onions. If you are making use of the thick tomato paste, simply dilute it a bit in little water and set aside.
- Pour the blended tomatoes into a pot and let it boil until the consistency is thicker and the excess water is dried up.
- In another pot, add the cleaned cut fresh fish ,add a little water, thyme, curry ,1 stock cube and salt to taste. Parboil for 2 minutes , this helps to toughen the skin of the fish and get the fish tasty. You can also marinate the fish with these spices overnight or for about 1 hour, if you’ll rather not parboil the fish. After 2 minutes, take out the fish from the pot and reserve the liquid (fish stock).
- Now, heat up the vegetable oil, add some onions(optional, because the blended tomatoes already has onions). Add the dried tomatoes, the diluted tinned tomatoes and fry for about 25 minutes or until the tomato loses it’s sour taste. Stir constantly to prevent burning at the bottom.
- Add the fish stock and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the parboiled fish, stock cube and salt to taste. Cover and leave to simmer until the fish is properly cooked.